Thursday, January 17, 2008

What to do, what to do.....

I am sitting here trying to figure out what my evening will consist of. On the one hand, I am supposed to go to a big event honoring this guy, Jim, who led a big local environmental group for about fifteen years but was shuffled out by his board for under performing. On the other hand, Netflix has sent me Trainspotting, the greatest heroin comedy movie ever.

Attendees at the event will consist of a few friends and a bunch of enviro googoos, few of whom I can tolerate for more than 2 minutes. Conversation will consist of how fabulous Governor Patrick is and isn't it great to get a Democrat back in the Corner Office and how the choice between Hilary and Barack is sooooo tough. As a card carrying Republican, albeit one that treads a moderate's path, this will be torture as I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from screaming. Yet I really need to attend. Given my current state of underemployment and given that my skill set lies squarely in the environmental policy and government relations arena, I really need to keep my ugly mug in front of this crowd (shudder). Why did I pick this career? Just think, if I had kept on waiting tables and sailing 20 years ago, I would be ...waiting on tables and sailing now. As I sit here at my keyboard wearing a fleece hat and jacket because the thermostat is set at 58 degrees to save oil, maybe advancing my career opportunities is the right decision. Plus Jimmy Tingle is the MC and although he's a knee jerk liberal, he can be pretty funny.

Of course, my wife wants me to go, at least partially because we are also getting some chick movie from Netflix and with me out of the house, our fabulous entertainment center is all hers. I hope she can get the movie started.

So I just have to find time this weekend to see Trainspotting. I haven't seen it in 5 or 6 years and it's a pretty great movie. Of course it has to be when the kids are asleep. If the drug use, drinking, random violence and swearing isn't bad enough, the incomprehensible accents would freak them out.

No comments: